The Misses Littlefield was one of the earliest-founded professional typing agencies in Harvard Square and remained in business throughout most of the 20th century. The Misses Littlefield was founded by two Miss Littlefields, Helen C. and Nina A., officially in 1912. Before that, the two sisters had worked as typists and stenographers for a number of years. They opened their shop at 1388 Massachusetts Avenue, and in 1914 moved to the 301 building in Harvard Square at 4 Brattle Street. Helen C. was no longer a Miss Littlefield after marrying a Mr. LaPointe, but she continued to work with her sister until her death in 1921. Nina continued the business alone until 1945 when her niece, another Miss Littlefield named Dorothy, took over management. Typed manuscripts of The Misses Littlefield include Rollo Walter Brown’s Harvard Yard in the Golden Age and a study of Milton’s influence on English poetry. Most of their business came from Harvard University, as theses, manuscripts, and papers were typed by the ladies at The Misses Littlefield for the students of the university.
By 1972 The Misses Littlefield, The Public Steno, and the ABC Answering Service together shared the space at 4 Brattle Street. There is no record in the 1986-1987 business listings, which is the next chronological volume. It is unclear when they went out of business.)
As prepared by:
Gavin W. Kleespies, Executive Director Cambridge Historical Society.
Katie MacDonald, Intern Cambridge Historical Society.