The next CPSA session will be held on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 from 9:00am – 11:00am. This session will be hosted by Museum of Science and will take place in the Cahners Theater at 1 Science Park (http://www.mos.org/directions).
Homegrown Violent Extremists (HVE)
The Growing Threat
Moderated by Peter Brown, Principal, Peter Brown Communications
Opening Remarks by City Manager, Richard C. Rossi
In a recent interview, F.B.I. Director James Comey stated, “There are HVE investigations in every single state”. Director Comey went on to say that it is unlikely that an HVE suspect will be identified by a Federal Agent making it more important than ever that we are all informed and vigilant, situational awareness is vital. While we may feel like ISIL does not impact the local business community, we must be aware that we are not immune to Lone Wolf attacks inspired by radical ideology and propaganda as evidenced by acts of violence that have taken place in businesses, both domestically and internationally.
What You Can Expect
- A brief history on the evolution of groups such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and Al-Qaeda. Where each is positioned today vs. 9/11 and how they affect the HVE threat.
- The process used by these organizations to recruit individuals and inspire them to commit acts of terrorism here and abroad.
- An overview of the threats we face and their evolution of from large scale attacks planned for years in advance to the current threats posed by impulsive Lone Wolf attacks.
- Discussion about potential targets ranging from individuals on the street to the local businesses that each of us represent.
- A breakdown of the radicalization process and indicators of potential violent extremists as well as how to handle/report concerns/suspicious activity.
Reminder: ASIS members attending this session are eligible for points that can be applied to ASIS certifications.
RSVP is required – email Peter DeVito
Kieran L. Ramsey, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, F.B.I.—Boston Division
Stephen A. Ahern, Deputy Superintendent, Cambridge Police Department