Overall construction is anticipated to last approximately 18-24 months.
• Addition of a two-way multi-use path through Flagstaff Park, along Massachusetts Ave.
• Improved pathways within the Common.
• New benches, trash and recycling receptacles, improved playing fields and irrigation.
• A simpler, more historical landscape consisting of trees and grass.
• Restoration of the historic pathway from the DAR gate on Garden St.
• Crews will mobilize on Massachusetts Ave near Garden St on Thursday, June 12 to begin roadway reconstruction and installation of the new multi-use path through Flagstaff Park. Work in this area will take about 2-3 months to complete.
• Improvements within the Common will begin in mid-July and will continue into the fall. Crews will suspend construction activities within the Common for the winter and will resume in the spring of 2015.
• In the next week, crews will install construction fencing around the ball fields.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
• Access to the playground as well as through the Common will be maintained, with some pedestrian detours as paths are reconstructed.
• Parking along the Common on Massachusetts Ave will be removed to provide a pedestrian detour while crews reconstruct the adjacent path.
• All recreational events will need to be relocated during construction.
• Twenty-two trees will be removed from the Common as part of the overall landscaping plan. Over 100 new trees will be planted and the landscaping restored throughout.
INFORMATION AND ASSISTANCE
Please visit the City’s website for additional information:
For information on the project plans, please contact Bill Deignan at the City of Cambridge Community Development Department at email@example.com /617-349-4632, TTY (617) 349- 4621.
For information regarding construction, please contact Claude Noailles at MassDOT by e-mail at Claude.Noailles@dot.state.ma.us.